Britain’s Lost Masterpieces 6 December 2021: Monday on BBC Four
Manchester – Series 3 Episode 2 of 3 – At the Manchester Art Gallery, Dr Bendor Grosvenor discovers a painting of a country gentleman from the 1770s which he believes has been misattributed to Nathaniel Dance. He feels sure it is in fact by the German painter Johann Zoffany, a favourite portraitist of the royal family under King George III. While the painting is restored, Bendor investigates the life of Zoffany – a chancer and adventurer who squandered his royal patronage through a series of predictable errors of judgement.
Travelling to Florence to see the location of Zoffany’s greatest painting, the Tribuna of the Uffizi Gallery, Bendor also visits Parma, where Zoffany painted an extraordinary self-portrait. The artist ended his career in India, where he made a fortune, and Bendor goes to look at Colonel Mordaunt’s Cock Match in Tate Britain with art historian Sona Datta. They unpack the undercurrent of sexual innuendo Zoffany had filled the picture with.
Emma Dabiri investigates Manchester’s support for the abolition of slavery through the history of the gallery’s first purchase – a portrait of the black American actor Ira Aldridge. She discovers the story of the Manchester Art Treasures exhibition of 1857, the largest art exhibition ever held in Britain, and looks into the Manchester Gallery attacks by three suffragettes in 1913.
- Try Amazon Prime Video FREE / PureVPN – Stream US/UK Shows Worldwide
- Watched the show? Join the discussion and leave a comment below!
About Britain’s Lost Masterpieces
Series tracking down lost and hidden paintings from local museums and galleries.
This show is broadcast on BBC Four, also known as the British Broadcasting Corporation.
Latest Episodes of Britain’s Lost Masterpieces
- Britain’s Lost Masterpieces 13 December 2021: Monday on BBC Four
- Britain’s Lost Masterpieces 6 December 2021: Monday on BBC Four
- Britain’s Lost Masterpieces 29 November 2021: ‘Devon’ on BBC Four
- Britain’s Lost Masterpieces – 10 February 2021 – 10/2/2021 – Wednesday – BBC Four
- Britain’s Lost Masterpieces – 8 February 2021 – 8/2/2021 – Monday – BBC Four
Latest Episodes on BBC Four
About BBC Four
BBC Fouris an British television network, and is one of the main television networks in the United Kingdom. It broadcasts in English.
Some of the most popular shows and programs on BBC include:
- Strictly Come Dancing
- Line of Duty
- The Capture
- Inside No. 9
- Holby City
- The Night Manager
- Top Gear
Television in the United Kingdom
The main United Kingdom networks are:
- BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation)
- BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC Four
- ITV (Independent Television)
- ITV, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4
- Channel 4
- Channel 5
You will find articles on all your favourite TV shows on every network, everyday on TV Everyday!