Great American Railway Journeys “Montreal, Quebec” 19 July 2022: Tuesday on BBC Four
Following a special 1899 Canadian edition of his Appleton’s guide, Michael Portillo has left the United States and crossed the border to embark on the next leg of his rail journey in Canada.
In the vibrant metropolis of Montreal, he discovers how French and British colonial roots have influenced the city’s construction, cuisine and culture. Undaunted by his guidebook’s description of the treacherous Lachine Rapids, Michael gets a thorough soaking on a white-knuckle boat ride down the St. Lawrence River.
At the city’s prestigious McGill University, Michael learns of its role as a pioneering medical establishment in the 19th century. He unearths a mausoleum amidst the text books and volunteers as a guinea pig at the university’s cutting-edge neurology department. In search of the city’s black Canadian heritage, Michael is introduced to the dazzling piano playing of 20th-century jazz legend Oscar Peterson.
His Montreal tour ends with a visit to Cirque du Soleil HQ for a very special behind-the-scenes tour of an icon of modern French-Canadian culture.
- Try Amazon Prime Video FREE / PureVPN – Stream US/UK Shows Worldwide
- Watched the show? Join the discussion and leave a comment below!
About Great American Railway Journeys
Great Railway Journeys is a BBC documentary series presented by Michael Portillo, a former Conservative MP and Cabinet Minister who was instrumental in saving the Settle to Carlisle line from closure in 1989 (Wikipedia).
This show is broadcast on BBC Two, also known as the British Broadcasting Corporation.
Latest Episodes of Great American Railway Journeys
- Great American Railway Journeys “Monterey to Santa Barbara” 4 August 2022: Thursday on BBC Four
- Great American Railway Journeys “Santa Clara to Santa Cruz” 3 August 2022: Wednesday on BBC Four
- Great American Railway Journeys “Berkeley to Yosemite” 2 August 2022: Tuesday on BBC Four
- Great American Railway Journeys “San Francisco” 1 August 2022: Monday on BBC Four
- Great American Railway Journeys “San Francisco to Sausalito, California” 28 July 2022: Thursday on BBC Four