Great American Railway Journeys “Thousand Islands to Oshawa, Ontario” 21 July 2022: Thursday on BBC Four
Using his 1899 Appleton’s guide, Michael Portillo’s rail odyssey through eastern Canada continues along the Grand Trunk railway, following the route of the St Lawrence River.
At Brockville, he leaves the tracks for a nautical pilgrimage through the beautiful Thousand Islands. In the port city of Kingston, Ontario, Michael visits Fort Henry and, dressed for the occasion, is entrusted to fire the naval guns that protected the nation’s southern border during the 19th century.
Travelling west to Port Hope, he learns of the antics of a celebrated 19th-century high-wire walker known as The Great Farini. And, in the spirit of showmanship, Michael tests his balance with the modern sport of slack lining.
This leg of the journey ends in Oshawa at the opulent home of the McLaughlin family, who helped build a new economy for Canada when they switched from manufacturing carriages to motor cars.
- Try Amazon Prime Video FREE / PureVPN – Stream US/UK Shows Worldwide
- Watched the show? Join the discussion and leave a comment below!
About Great American Railway Journeys
Great Railway Journeys is a BBC documentary series presented by Michael Portillo, a former Conservative MP and Cabinet Minister who was instrumental in saving the Settle to Carlisle line from closure in 1989 (Wikipedia).
This show is broadcast on BBC Two, also known as the British Broadcasting Corporation.
Latest Episodes of Great American Railway Journeys
- Great American Railway Journeys “Monterey to Santa Barbara” 4 August 2022: Thursday on BBC Four
- Great American Railway Journeys “Santa Clara to Santa Cruz” 3 August 2022: Wednesday on BBC Four
- Great American Railway Journeys “Berkeley to Yosemite” 2 August 2022: Tuesday on BBC Four
- Great American Railway Journeys “San Francisco” 1 August 2022: Monday on BBC Four
- Great American Railway Journeys “San Francisco to Sausalito, California” 28 July 2022: Thursday on BBC Four