Great Australian Railway Journeys – 28 July 2021 – 28/7/2021 – Wednesday – BBC Two
Sydney to Broken Hill
Series 1 Episode 2 of 6
Michael Portillo explores New South Wales, steered by his 1913 Bradshaw’s Guide. He strikes west into the Blue Mountains and travels 570 miles into the interior of the vast Australian continent to reach the mining city of Broken Hill.
Beginning in the waterside metropolis of Sydney, the NSW capital, Michael investigates the origins of the city as a penal colony, visiting the Hyde Park Barracks, where many of the first convicts were housed. Taking his courage in both hands, Michael climbs to the top of the Coathanger to admire the view of the harbour and tours the city’s iconic Opera House.
At Bondi Beach, he joins volunteers from the Bondi Surf Bathers’ Life Saving Club, founded at the time of his guidebook, for rescue practice. In the Blue Mountains, Michael hears from indigenous guide Yamandirra about his people’s relationship to the land and is ceremonially ‘welcomed to the country’.
At Katoomba, Michael is in for the ride of his life on the steepest railway in the world. How to follow this 125-second thrill? With an overnight journey on one of the world’s longest trains, the luxurious Indian Pacific Railway.
Arriving deep in the parched Outback at Broken Hill, Michael discovers the precious metal that put this isolated outpost on the international map, silver.
- Try Amazon Prime Video FREE / PureVPN – Stream US/UK Shows Worldwide
- Watched the show? Join the discussion and leave a comment below!
About Great Australian Railway Journeys
Michael Portillo travels the length and breadth of Australia by train.
This show is broadcast on BBC Two, also known as the British Broadcasting Corporation.
Latest Episodes of Great Australian Railway Journeys
- Great Australian Railway Journeys – 9 August 2021 – 9/8/2021 – Monday – BBC Two
- Great Australian Railway Journeys – 3 August 2021 – 3/8/2021 – Tuesday – BBC Two
- Great Australian Railway Journeys – 2 August 2021 – 2/8/2021 – Monday – BBC Two
- Great Australian Railway Journeys – 30 July 2021 – 30/7/2021 – Friday – BBC Two
- Great Australian Railway Journeys – 29 July 2021 – 29/7/2021 – Thursday – BBC Two
Latest Episodes on BBC Two
BBC is an British television network, and is one of the main television networks in the United Kingdom. It broadcasts in English.
Some of the most popular shows and programs on BBC include:
- Strictly Come Dancing
- Line of Duty
- The Capture
- Inside No. 9
- Holby City
- The Night Manager
- Top Gear
Television in the United Kingdom
The main United Kingdom networks are:
- BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation)
- BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC Four
- ITV (Independent Television)
- ITV, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4
- Channel 4
- Channel 5
You will find articles on all your favourite TV shows on every network, everyday on TV Everyday!