Great Australian Railway Journeys – 29 July 2021 – 29/7/2021 – Thursday – BBC Two
Adelaide to Perth: The Indian Pacific
Series 1 Episode 3 of 6
Michael Portillo embarks on a rail adventure aboard the transcontinental Indian Pacific Railway, which stretches from the southern port city of Adelaide, South Australia, 1,700 miles deep into the desert, to the gold rush town of Kalgoorlie, before finishing in Perth, Western Australia.
First, Michael explores McLaren Vale, where an enterprising early 19th century Briton with a murky past began to grow vines. Michael enjoys the fruits of his labours and hears his story from his great great great granddaughter.
Boarding the mighty Indian Pacific, Michael embraces the luxury of a previous age as he travels across Australia’s notoriously remote and inhospitable Nullarbor Plain. He discovers the 100-year-old history behind the ambitious line and the tremendous feat of engineering it took to deliver it. In the ghost town of Cook, Michael helps to top up the train’s water and is rewarded with dinner under the stars at Rawlinna. He strikes gold in one of the most lucrative goldfields in the world and strikes it lucky in the traditional Australian gambling game of ‘Two Up’.
He pays a flying visit to the doctor to hear how patients in remote Western Australia are cared for, then takes to the skies to admire Perth, one of the world’s most isolated cities, and its port of Fremantle. South of the city, in Pinjarra, he uncovers a dark chapter in the histories of both Britain and Australia – a child migration programme devised at the time of Michael’s Bradshaw’s Guide.
Back in Perth, Michael hears how Edward VIII was caught up in a train accident near Bridgetown and is invited to an Aussie barbie.
- Try Amazon Prime Video FREE / PureVPN – Stream US/UK Shows Worldwide
- Watched the show? Join the discussion and leave a comment below!
About Great Australian Railway Journeys
Michael Portillo travels the length and breadth of Australia by train.
This show is broadcast on BBC Two, also known as the British Broadcasting Corporation.
Latest Episodes of Great Australian Railway Journeys
- Great Australian Railway Journeys – 9 August 2021 – 9/8/2021 – Monday – BBC Two
- Great Australian Railway Journeys – 3 August 2021 – 3/8/2021 – Tuesday – BBC Two
- Great Australian Railway Journeys – 2 August 2021 – 2/8/2021 – Monday – BBC Two
- Great Australian Railway Journeys – 30 July 2021 – 30/7/2021 – Friday – BBC Two
- Great Australian Railway Journeys – 29 July 2021 – 29/7/2021 – Thursday – BBC Two
Latest Episodes on BBC Two
BBC is an British television network, and is one of the main television networks in the United Kingdom. It broadcasts in English.
Some of the most popular shows and programs on BBC include:
- Strictly Come Dancing
- Line of Duty
- The Capture
- Inside No. 9
- Holby City
- The Night Manager
- Top Gear
Television in the United Kingdom
The main United Kingdom networks are:
- BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation)
- BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC Four
- ITV (Independent Television)
- ITV, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4
- Channel 4
- Channel 5
You will find articles on all your favourite TV shows on every network, everyday on TV Everyday!